A workshop on micro pattern gas detectors will be held at CERN.
The workshop may lead to the formation of an official R&D collaboration (probably RD51) on micro pattern gas detectors.
The goal of such a collaboration would be to bundle and coordinate detector development and simulation work, which is currently being performed in numerous groups at universities and research institutes. The collaboration will allow to:
• structure, coordinate and focus ongoing R&D efforts
• share knowledge, experience and infrastructure, agree on common test and quality standards
• coordinate widespread simulation efforts towards setting-up a common maintainable software package for gas detector simulations
• share investment of common projects (e.g. larger mask sets for GEMs)
This is expected to lead to:
• an improved understanding of operational parameters (gas, fields, readout structures, MC simulations),
• optimized detector performance,
• optimized readout electronics and readout integration with detectors,
• new detector concepts,
• progress in technological and economical aspects (base materials, fabrication methods, industrialization and cost effectiveness).
Contact persons at CERN: Leszek.Ropelewski@cern.ch and Christian.Joram@cern.ch
Secretariat support: Kate.Ross@cern.ch and Veronique.Wedlake@cern.ch