CTA Dev Meeting

Europe/Zurich
513/R-068 (CERN)

513/R-068

CERN

19
Show room on map
Michael Davis (CERN)
    • 3:00 PM 3:10 PM
      CTA Release Workflow 10m
    • 3:10 PM 3:20 PM
      CTA Release Roadmap 10m

      See CTA Release Roadmap

      Release 4.8.2-1

      • Milestones link
      • Release date: 14 Dec
      • Pre-prod deployment date: 16 Dec
      • Prod deployment date: 19 Dec
      • Optimisations on catalogue DB queries

      Public Release

      • Latest version available on public repo: v4.7.14-1, v5.7.14-1
    • 3:20 PM 3:30 PM
      CTA dev topics 10m

      Tape server querying DB at very high rate

      • For details check #155

      Tapes get stuck on PENDING states if there is no queue object

      • The causes for this bug have been determined. We need to discuss the proposed solutions.
      • For details check #258

      Improvements on CTA catalogue schema git workflow

      • CTA catalogue schema releases/development are not tracked/secured in the same way as main.

      Here are two possible solutions for discussion:

      • Use a new special branch: #263
      • Use a git submodule: #254

      Allow VO override for repack

      • For details check #31

      CTA cannot archive files on MHVTL ULTRIUM config

      • CTA CI and buildtree scripts have hardcoded depencies on the MHVTL STK configuration. This means that we cannot use the new MHVTL configuration with ULTRIUM libraries without substancial development work...
      • 257, 146, 177

      Add new purchase order field to the tape table

      cta-taped not dismounting tapes on uncaught exception

      stagerrm issues continued

      "Needs discussion" topics

      "Dev issue needed" topics

      Tape server querying DB at very high rate

      • For details check #155
      • David is adding some simple counters to find the call stack causing most of the SQL requests.
      • It will be released as a separate branch (simple fix) on top of the last release (4.8.2-1).
      • Joao will plan and propose a more permanent solution that allows us to collect event count metrics in any part of the CTA project.event cou

      Tapes get stuck on PENDING states if there is no queue object

      • For details check #258
      • For the current problematic queues, we will simply change the tape state directly in the DB. This will make them usable again.
      • As a more permanent solution, we will implement option #2 (do not allow queues with doCleanup flag to be deleted by the tapeserver). Only the maintenance process is allowed to delete this queues.
        • Besides this, we will allow doCleanup to be activated again every time the operator triggers a change to REPACKING/BROKEN/EXPORTED state, even if the tape is already in the corresponding PENDING state. This will guarantee that the queue will be picked up by the maintenance process. It will make the `tape ch` command idempotent.
        • We also must must confirm which system components check for empty queues and eliminate them (the garbage collector?).

      Improvements on CTA catalogue schema git workflow

      • We will go for the git submodule approach: #254
      • It makes development easier to track, and we can implement extra things in the CI, such as the automatic schema schematic generation.

      Allow VO override for repack

      • For details check #31
      • To be discussed during the next week, in a specific meeting just for this issue (to be scheduled by Joao).
      • Joao will need to analyse what needs to be done on each one of the options, how much work it takes, pros & cons, etc.

      CTA cannot archive files on MHVTL ULTRIUM config

      • CTA CI and buildtree scripts have hardcoded depencies on the MHVTL STK configuration. This means that we cannot use the new MHVTL configuration with ULTRIUM libraries without substancial development work...
      • #257, #MR-146, #177
      • We decided to stick to STK until we can afford a full review and refactoring of all the tests and tools (CI, container generation, etc.) that have STK components hardcoded.
      • In addition, Michael will discuss the possibility of our team becoming maintainers of the MHVTL project.

      Add new purchase order field to the tape table

      • For details check #Ops-964
      • Dev ticket #267
      • We decided to do this. It is a good opportunity to try the new CTA catalogue schema submodule #254.

      Make dependency directories cta-repo / cta-public-repo consistent

      • Vova will check with licensing team, after which Joao will upload the necessary RPMs to the public dependencies repo

      cta-taped not dismounting tapes on uncaught exception

      • For details check #Ops-961
      • Vova created two dev tickets to handle this issue.

      stagerrm issues continued

      • For details check #Ops-943
      • There are many improvements related to stagerrm to be done. We need to create a issue containing a table that compares all stagerrm problems, possible solutions, requirements, etc... This will make it easy to compare all cases and find common ways to approach them.
    • 3:30 PM 3:40 PM
      CTA dev board review 10m

      Objective

      • Look at the active issues in our CTA dev board.
      • Decide if they should be kept, removed, reassigned, prioritised, etc.

      Review unlabelled issues

      • Unlabelled issues list: link

      Review "In progress" issues

      • Full CTA board: link

      Review specific topic

    • 3:40 PM 3:50 PM
      AOB 10m

      Other

      • Room 513/R-068 is booked every week, until the EOY, for the CTA dev meeting.