# Madgraph dev meeting Tue 23.05.2023
Present: SR, JT, SH, ZW, AV
Remote: OM, WH, CV, TC
SH to OM: now that we have some gridpacks, how many events are there per channel?
OM: crossx.html is disaplyed during launch, if you click on the cross section
you see the channels and the numbers of events per channel.
Could also remove splitting of invocations into separate jobs per channel.
SR: change in the runcard?
OM: try refine_event_by_job
## Round table
TC: was at CHEP and met some of us! a lot of interest in GPUs
NN cannot be here today but he is following up on various sycl issues
Will try to switch to produce some documentation so that people can use the plugin on their own
Looked at some scaling results, gave one for CHEP with oversubscribed issues
TC: ask Olivier about thoughts on NLO, for instance we could focus only on V+jets multijet.
OM: discussed this in the general madgraph meeting.
We can link to four libraries in Madgraph, typically done in order
(then if all four fail we go to quadruple precision).
Probably best strategy is to focus on the ninja library,
which is C++ and we have good contactes to the author (Tiziano Peraro),
Other three are openloops, collier, cuttools.
SR: any of those groups look into GPU acceleration?
OM: no probably not
TC: openloops do not seem interested in gpu
AV: still maintained? saw last commits in 2017... OM: yes definitely supported
AV: needs FORM? it says so on the site... OM: no do not need FORM when using it in madgraph
WH: need to leave soon, whats the status with susy?
AV: will discuss a few issues in the slides, not sure if this is one of them
OM: maybe some issues have been fixed in the meantime
OM: also have an issue in the tt_gg process, the cross section is smaller
when using the vectorized code than when using the older code
CV: shows one slide about resources at the CHTC center in Madison, would these be useful?
AV: the A100s definitely look useful!
OM: less clear about P100 and RTX2080, probably not enough double precision?
SR: probably still useful to test there
CV: one of my colleagues discussed with SH at CHEP to run madgraph
SH: yes this was a useful chat, gave her some details to run some gridpack pipelines
JT: worked on an abstraction layer to support both HIP and CUDA from cudacpp
Looks quite promising for the moment, need some AMD GPUs
OM: can you use LUMI?
JT: we had access but lost it, we asked again
OM: through madgraph I can certainly have access through Belgium, can ask for a project
SR: if not a hassle, yes please go ahead
SR: we are also trying through openlab
TC: how does this compare to a portability framework like sycl?
JT: just a header supporting both HIP and CUDA
ZW: CHEP talk went well, people were interested in reweighting
Showed some results that I had produced the week before
Now cleaning up the application so that it can be released
AV: silly question, why not PEPPER anymore?
ZW: it's that the Sherpa team now use PEPPER (TC: new name of BlockGen)
ZW: now called TREX
ZW: also looking at NLO and virtual contributions now
Next week will be in Lund and will discuss with Rikkert Frederix about this
SH: gave the talk at CHEP, people were interested in the results,
next question is always when can we use it,
and next next question is when can go beyond LO
OM: do not completely agree that cannot use LO,
for instance for BSM definitely LO is useful
ZW: tomorrow we have a meeting with CMS people to discuss using it
SH: also presented results on showing unweighting in GPU
to further speed up fortran, but we agreed this morning to wait
for the other patches in the pipeline
OM: actually there are changes that can be done also in the fortran,
they do not need to be done in the GPU, so could do that independently
SH: get a factor two from not having to write the events
AV: SH's MR is on madgrpah4gpu, is this changes in cudacpp or fortran?
SH: half half, the fortran changes are on one process,
these would need to be ported to code generation
However the implementation is only done in cudacpp,
if we want it also in Fortran we need to write it.
I can point you to what needs to be done in Fortran
SR: worked on two things
First, worked on python machinery for integrating the launch functionality
(touching makefiles and also the extra parameters that are needed). This is in a MR.
Second, generated gridpacks for CMS/Sapta and ATLAS/Zach,
people are playing with this at the moment.
OM: would put some parameters in run.inc, to avoid putting in input files
stuff that is common to all channels
SR: ok will change the MR
SR: was also at the mcnet workshop (OM was too)
Sapta made a nice advertisement for our work
OM: MLM also made very good and supportive statements
## AV slides, WIP and open issues for the release
In #630, OM checked iand saw that if vectorization is on there are issues
OM: blackbox is everything that is getting the scale for merging and matching
For instance ickkw=0 fixes this issue
In #616 maybe Zenny can fix the files manually for this process
Next meeting June 6 (OM will probably be absent)