ROOT Parallelisation, Performance and Programming Model Meeting
Present: Danilo Old Actions:
* Lorenzo: integrate PR2 of Xavi (#367) about vectorisation * Lorenzo, Danilo: merge VecCore PR once discussion about it is complete - Now the comments are all integrated - Need to discuss further involving Pere if needed
* Danilo: integrate new ctors taking a TEntryList in the TDF - Make sure to throw an informative message if more than one tree is present in the file(s) --> This is pending until the creation of TEntryLists is addressed with an Action.
* Gerri, Enric, Xavi, Danilo: identify a chunking (packetising) procedure for MT, MP, collections and trees (perhaps respecting clusters' granularity a la TTreeProcessor) * Xavi: Slide 7 2N debug nasty scaling obtained. Ideas: - With perf count the page faults (Pere's idea). - Artificially increase the work to see if the overhead is less. - Try only one worker. * Xavi: try fma with Ofast before ruling that out
New Actions: * Danilo: investigate fallback mechanism with backquotes for branch names which are not c++ names Open Actions:
Proposal to add a feature to ROOT. Add any ROOT function from numpy: through jit and cling. Query system uses numpy ufunc as a way to identify functions which are written in C++. Jit the adaptor code for numpy around C++ functions.
This will be presented in the PPP meeting on Thursdays, even in at the stage of prototype and when something substantial is available in the Monday meeting.
The deliverable is a PR with the new functionality.