The school is organized by IEEE Nuclear and Plasma Sciences Society and the South Africa- CERN consortium and will be held at iThemba LABS in Cape Town July 7th - 17th. Its intention is to give practical experience with developing and controlling mid-range real time experiments. Hands-on experience is very important. The school provides lectures and laboratory exercises, given by experts in radiation measurements with state-of-the-art experience. The lectures introduce firmware, software and web based programming (for remote control), and show how this can be used in different areas of science. In order to minimize the hardware cost Raspberry Pis are used as controllers. This should be an advantage when the students later develop their own systems. The Raspberry Pi operating system is similar to Linux which means that it supports many of the standard Data Acquisition software tools.
The schedule close to final but modifications might still occur
The goal of the school is
- To train students in the area of radiation detectors and its applications.
- To enhance the development of real-time system in South Africa.
- To promote the participation of young scientists in radiation measurements and related fields
Location and Date
iThemba LABS in Capetown, South Africa
July 7th to July 17th 2018
The school requires undergraduate knowledge in physics and electronics.
Master and Ph.D. students are targeted. The total number of students is limited to about 50. On Sunday July 8th there will be a one-day FPGA workshop. Here the number of student is limited to 20.
- Abdallah Lyoussi, CEA Cadarache, France
- Bruce Mellado, Wits University, SA
- Christian Bohm, Stockholm University, Sweden
- Cinzia Da Via, Manchester University, UK
- Martin Grossmann, PSI, Switzerland
- Martin Purschke, BNL, USA
- Masaharu Nomachi, Osaka University, Japan
- Michael Holik, IEAP CTU Prague & UWB Pilsen, Czech Republic
- Patrick Le Du, IPN Lyon, France
- Stefan Ritt, PSI, Switzerland
- Ivan Stekl, IEAP CTU Prague, Czech Republic
- Vladimir Vicha, IEAP CTU, Czech Republic
- Zhen-An Liu, HEP, China
Previous Instrumentation Schools
Similar instrumentation schools have been organized IEEE Nuclear and Plasma Science Society in Ho Chi Min City, Vietnam 2016 and in Osaka,Japan 2014.