About The Cosener's House
The Cosener’s House occupies a picturesque Thames-side position in the grounds of the medieval Abbey of Abingdon, 8 miles from Oxford.
It takes its name from the Cuisinier or Kitchener (the official responsible for providing food for the Abbey). The older part of the present building is the central portion which dates from the mid-eighteenth century.
These days the House is a wonderful retreat to which Humphrey and his staff invite you to stay overnight in one of the comfortable rooms or make use of the meeting rooms and catering facility. There are 50 bedrooms, five meeting rooms and a light and airy modern dining room with views of the gardens and the Thames.
- From the M4 - Exit the motorway at junction 13 and take the A34 northbound (signposted Oxford). Leave the A34 at the Abingdon turning and follow the signs for Abingdon. Follow the route detailed on the map of Abingdon town centre.
- From Oxford - Oxford is the nearest large city to Cosener's House. Take the A34 southbound towards Newbury. Exit the A34 at the turning for Abingdon North and follow the signs for Abingdon. Follow the route detailed on the map of Abingdon town centre
- From Heathrow Airport - Take the M4 motorway towards Slough, Reading and the West. Turn off the motorway at junction 13 and head North on the A34 (signposted Oxford). Leave the A34 at the Abingdon turning and follow the signs for Abingdon. Follow the route detailed on the map of Abingdon town centre.
- From Gatwick Airport - Take the M23 to London and Guildford. At junction 7/8 join the M25 to Heathrow and Watford. At junction 15, take the M4 towards Slough, Reading and the West, and continue to junction 13. Head North on the A34 (signposted Oxford). Leave the A34 at the Abingdon turning and follow the signs for Abingdon. Follow the route detailed on the map of Abingdon town centre.
Flight / bus information
'The Airline' website provides useful flight/bus information for people arriving from Heathrow & Gatwick. If you take The Airline, get off at St. Aldates. The bus from Heathrow goes to Oxford, where you must change and take either Bus X3, X13, 31 or X2 to Abingdon.
Taking the train, taxi or bus
The Cosener's House is about 7 miles from Didcot Parkway station, less than 60 minutes journey from London Paddington. Didcot Parkway also provides connections to Birmingham, the West of England and South Wales.
Oxford railway station also has many trains with links to the rest of the country.
- National Rail Enquiries: tel +44 (0)8457 48 49 50
The following City bus services serve Abingdon:
- X3: Oxford Rail Station - Oxford City Centre - Abingdon
- X13: John Radcliffe Hospital - Marston - Oxford City Centre - Redbridge Park & Ride - Abingdon
The following Oxford Stagecoach bus services serve Abingdon:
- 31: Oxford - Abingdon - Wantage
- 34: Oxford - Abingdon - Harwell Campus - Wantage
The following Thames Travel bus service also serves Abingdon:
- X2: Oxford - Abingdon - Milton Park - Didcot - Wallingford
- 32A (connector): Oxford - Abingdon - Didcot - Harwell - Wantage
For all booking enquiries please contact:
The Cosener's House
Telephone: +44 1235 523198
Fax: +44 1235 534160
Manager: Nik Argondellis