The STFC British Universities Summer School in Theoretical Elementary Particle Physics (BUSSTEP) is a long established school aimed at all PhD students working on theoretical particle physics. This school on strings, gauge theory and holography will provide additional training for students working in high energy theory, bridging the gap between BUSSTEP/Masters level courses and contemporary research literature. The school is primarily aimed at first and second year PhD students, but PhD students from all years are welcome.
All expenses are covered for STFC funded students. Students funded by EPSRC or other scholarships are asked to pay a registration fee of £250 to cover accommodation and meals.
There will be four lecture courses of five hours each on the following topics:
- Black holes (Mahdi Godazgar)
- Conformal field theory and bootstrap (Alexander Zhiboedov)
- Topics in gauge/gravity duality (Kostas Skenderis)
- Scattering amplitudes in string theory and gauge theory (Ricardo Monteiro)
The lectures will be complemented by tutorial sessions run by postdoctoral researchers and staff from the Southampton string theory group.
In the event of the school being over-subscribed, we will prioritise by registration date.
There will also be training sessions on careers and useful skills for PhD students:
- Resilience: the ups and downs of being a PhD student
- Outreach and public engagement
- Applying for postdoctoral positions and research funding
- Working with partners outside academia
Students will have the opportunity to present a poster and give short presentations about their work.