The school, organized by the Universidad de Sevilla in the framework of the H2020 ARIEL project (www.ariel-h2020.eu), aims at covering the experimental aspects related to the production, detection and use of neutron beams. To this purpose, the core of the school is a series of experiments that will be carried out at the HISPANOS facility (www.cna.us.es/HISPANOS) at the Centro Nacional de Aceleradores (CNA) in Seville, Spain. The experiments will be complemented with lectures covering the production and detection of neutrons, nuclear data needs, physics research at large neutron beam facilities and with large neutron detectors, applications using neutron beams, and a seminar on the career development in the neutron and nuclear data community.
The target audience comprises young researchers, which can be Master or PhD students as well young postdocs. The selection of the 24 participants is the responsibility of the International Advisory Committee and will be based on the "Academic Level" and the "Letter of Interest" to be filled in the registration form.
- Time-of-flight experiments using fast pulsed neutron beams and detectors providing pulse shape discrimination, by C. Guerrero (U. Sevilla/CNA) & B. Fernández (CNA)
- MACS measurements by activation using an epithermal neutron beam, by M. Macías (U.Sevilla/CNA) & B. Fernández (CNA)
- Neutron radiography with thermal neutrons via full moderation of an initially fast neutron beam, by M.C. Jiménez-Ramos (CNA) and M.A. Millán-Callado (U. Sevilla/CNA)
- Characterization of the neutron distribution from fission with a neutron detector array, by A. Tarifeño (UPC).
- Roberto Capote (IAEA): Scientific Head of the IAEA Nuclear Data Section Development Unit.
- J. L. Taín (IFIC-CSIC): Head of the IFIC Gamma and Neutron Spectroscopy Group.
- A. Hewat (NeutronOptics). Founder of NeutronOptics Grenoble and former leader of the ILL Neutron Diffraction Group.
- O. Cabellos (UPM). Professor at the Universidad Politécnica de Madrid and former member of the NEA Nuclear Data Bank.
- P. Schillebeeckx (JRC Geel). Leader of the resonance range measurements and data analysis at the GELINA facility.
- C. Guerrero (U. Sevilla/CNA). Coordinator of the Basic Nuclear Physics Unit at CNA and former CERN n_TOF Run and Analysis Coordinator.
- A. Tarifeño (UPC). Researcher at UPC, responsible of the miniBELEN detector and spokesperson of the experiments with BELEN at RIKEN.
- B. Fernández (CNA). Researcher at CNA, responsible of the experiments at the HISPANOS neutron beam line.
- M. C. Jiménez (CNA). Researcher at CNA, responsible of the experiments at the CNA cyclotron.
- M. Macías (UGR). Researcher at CNA, performed his PhD on the installation of commissioning of the pulsing system at HISPANOS.
- M. A. Millán-Callado (U. Sevilla/CNA). Responsible of the neutron imaging studies at CNA.
POSTERS & BEST POSTER PRIZE
The participants willing to present a poster must submit an abstract in addition to their registration. The lecturers and the local organizing committee will award the "Best Poster Prize", which consists of a diploma and a check of 300€.
SPONSORED BY H2020-ARIEL
The cost of registration fee, travel and accommodation in double rooms will be fully covered by the H2020 ARIEL Project (www.ariel-h2020.eu).
Please register before February 28th, 2020
INTERNATIONAL ADVISORY COMMITTEE
- Arnd Junghans (HZDR, Germany)
- Arjan Plompen (JRC-Geel, Belgium)
- Enrique González (CIEMAT, Spain)
- Roberto Capote (IAEA, Austria)
- Gabriel Pavel (ENEN, Belgium)
LOCAL ORGANIZING COMMITTEE
- Carlos Guerrero
- Begoña Fernández
- Joaquín Gómez Camacho
- José Manuel Quesada
- María Ángeles Millán
- Teresa Rodríguez
This school receives funding from the Euratom research and training programme 2014-2018 under grant agreement No 847594 (ARIEL).