Following the series of RECAPP workshops and lecture courses, a five days workshop is being organized on physics and techniques used in modern Monte Carlo event generators. The workshop is aimed at advanced doctoral students, postdoctoral fellows and event generator practitioners. The meeting would largely comprise of a set of lecture courses accompanied by some hands-on tutorial sessions. Other than these, no formal lectures/seminars are planned, although participants are encouraged to actively participate in brainstorming sessions.
Participation is by invitation only.
Topics to be covered in the Workshop:
1) QCD at NLO and accurate Monte Carlo event generators by Fabio Maltoni, CP3, Louvain, Belgium,
2) Jet physics: from algorithms to Jetography by Matteo Cacciari, LPTHE, Paris, France,
3) Automatic NLO computations: MadLoop and MadFKS by Rikkert Frederix, Univ. of Zurich, Switzerland,
4) Interfacing NLO computations with parton showers by Paolo Torrielli, EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland, and
5) Hands on sessions on MadGraph, MC@NLO, and FastJet coordinated by the invited speakers.
The participant is expected to be familiar with
a)Higher order effects in perturbative QCD (KLN theorem, soft gluon resummation etc.) and/or
b)Parton level Monte Carlo simulation in Fortran/C++ and working knowledge of Pythia (enough to handle plotting of one dim. distribution of kinematic observables).
Local hospitality will be provided to all participants at Sariska Palace http://www.thesariskapalace.in. Participants are expected to arrive the venue on Dec. 4th (Sunday) and stay throughout the entire duration of the workshop. Those interested may apply to firstname.lastname@example.org latest by September 30, 2011. A PhD student is required to arrange for a reference letter from his/ her supervisor to be sent by email.
This workshop is co-sponsored by RECAPP, HRI and DST SERC Project grant SR/S2/HEP-12/2006.