CTA Dev Meeting

Europe/Zurich
513/R-068 (CERN)

513/R-068

CERN

19
Show room on map
Michael Davis (CERN)
Videoconference
CTA Dev Meeting
Zoom Meeting ID
68646510714
Description
CTA Dev Meeting
Host
Michael Davis
Useful links
Join via phone
Zoom URL
    • 1
      CTA Release Workflow
    • 2
      CTA Release Roadmap

      See CTA Release Roadmap

      Release 4.7.8-1 [Catalogue v11]

      Release 4.7.9-2

      • Milestones link
      • Release date: 08 Aug 2022
      • Pre-prod deployment date: 09 Aug 2022
      • Prod deployment date: 10 Aug 2022
      • v4.7.9-1 had to be replaced by v4.7.9-2 due to a packaging bug

      Release 4.8.0-1

      • Milestones link
      • Release date: End of Aug 2022
      • Pre-prod deployment date: End of Aug 2022
      • Prod deployment date: Sep 2022
      • v4.8.0-0.rc1 has been released and deployed in preproduction for testing purposes: #ops-842

      Future releases (4.7.x)

      Public Release

      • Remaining tasks
      • Release date: Sep 2022 (delayed)
      • Include Xrootd 5
      • Versioning same as internal release, but with v5 (v5.Y.Z).

      Releases with EOS-5

      • EOS instances (for physics, not public) are already using using the new EOS-5 versions.
      • Therefore, we can start moving our CTA-EOS deployments to version 5.
      • TODO: Refactor our puppet hostgroups and modules to use EOS-5
    • 3
      Collaborations

      CTA read support for non-native tape formats (OSM/dCache and Enstore)

      • Project roadmap: #2
      • [Jorge]: Handling of the non-native formats by the CleanerSession: #122

      cta-frontend-grpc integration for CTA

      • Project roadmap: #38
      • Protobuf change discussion: #63

      CTA read support for non-native tape formats (OSM/dCache and Enstore)

      • Jorge and Jacek agreed on having a unit-test that replicates the error found on cleaner session. To be provided by Jacek.
      • A possible solution is to have an MHVTL tape formatted the same way as dCache tape, that allows the error to be replicated.

      cta-frontend-grpc integration for CTA

      • Michael will be working on refactoring the code of both SSI and Grpc implementations, so that there is no duplication of functionality (this making a future transition to Grpc easier).
    • 4
      HTTP REST API, Activities and Priorities
      • [Julien]: Specification document status and remarks.
    • 5
      CTA dev topics

      Tape drive states

      • [Vova]: Project status overview.

      PostgreSQL scheduler DB

      • [David]: Project status overview.

      REPACKING tape state and queue cleanup

      • [Joao]: Project status overview.

      EOS report logs

      • [Joao]: Project status overview.

      cta-admin wrapper

      • [Vlado]: Guillaume project feedback.
      • Can/should the project be improved/finished by someone?
      • Should we handle this renaming in cta-admin-ops? #120

      Move subdirectories from CTA dev repo into new repos

      • [All]: Project status. Any feedback
      • Known hickups: #110

      cta-admin build for CentOS Stream-8, and other CI changes

      • [Jorge]: Project status overview #72

      "needs discussion" topics

      Tape drive states

      • Vova found a solution for the error that he was facing in the unit-tests and will be working on implementing it.

      PostgreSQL scheduler DB

      • David will be working on understanding the current object store logic.

      REPACKING tape state and queue cleanup

      • v4.8.0-0.rc1 test version has been released, and is in the process of being tested by Vlado and Julien.
      • Vlado has already identified some issues on: https://gitlab.cern.ch/cta/CTA/-/issues/83 These need to be fixed and/or discussed.

      cta-admin wrapper

      • Lasse will be working on this as one of his first tasks. He is free to re-write the original code as he sees fit.
      • The objective is to produce a workable version, free of the existing bugs.

      Move subdirectories from CTA dev repo into new repos

      • No more meaningful issues found. Remove from next weeks agenda.

      cta-admin build for CentOS Stream-8, and other CI changes

      • There is some remaining work to do:
      • Restructure the repo for centos7 and centos stream-8
      • Prepare installation in aiadm. Jorge will work on this with Julien, to see how the corresponding puppet module can be configured.
      • It needs to be tested. Jorge will use a centos stream-8 container.
      • There needs to be a trigger from the main CTA repo to this centos stream-8 release repo.

      Overall, Jorge and Julien need to check this: 

      1. How to trigger cta-admin release for centos stream-8 
      2. Where to put in the repo
      3. How to test cta-admin before deploying

      Rename ArchiveForUser and ArchiveForRepack

      • We decided to go for a simple fix, since renaming the names in CTA code might cause even more inconsistencies. This will be re-evaluated lated, once Postgres queues are available.
      • In the meanwhile, Lasse will add support for field renaming in the "cta-admin-ops" tool.

      Experiment with test release tags

      • We discussed the possibility of having a "release" branch, where all the release commits are merged and tagged. This would provide a clean history of all releases, separate from the normal development workflow.
      • The feasibility of this approach (with some possible changes, up to discussion) needs to be evaluated by Joao. 
      • Check with Elvin/Michal to see how this is done in xrootd releases.
    • 6
      AOB

      Meeting Rooms

      • Room 513/R-068 is booked every week, until the EOY, for the CTA dev meeting.