CTA Dev Meeting

Europe/Zurich
513/R-068 (CERN)

513/R-068

CERN

19
Show room on map
Michael Davis (CERN)
Videoconference
CTA Dev Meeting
Zoom Meeting ID
68646510714
Description
CTA Dev Meeting
Host
Michael Davis
Useful links
Join via phone
Zoom URL
    • 3:00 PM 3:10 PM
      CTA Release Workflow 10m
    • 3:10 PM 3:20 PM
      CTA Release Roadmap 10m

      See CTA Release Roadmap

      Release 4.7.10-1 - Catalogue v12.0

      • Milestones link
      • Release date: 12 Sep
      • Pre-prod deployment date: 16 Sep
      • Prod deployment date: 19 Sep
      • New states (EXPORTED, etc.) and index changes.

      Release 4.7.11-1

      • Milestones link
      • Release date: 16 Sep
      • Pre-prod deployment date: 22 Sep
      • Prod deployment date: 23 Sep
      • "Flush" all the latest main commits into a code release.
      • Stress tests running.

      Release 4.8.0-1

      • Milestones link
      • Release date: TBD
      • Pre-prod deployment date: TBD
      • Prod deployment date: TBD
      • v4.8.0-0.rc1 has been released and deployed in preproduction for testing purposes: #ops-842

      Future releases (4.7.x)

      Public Release

      • Remaining tasks
      • Release date: Sep 2022 (delayed)
      • On top of internal release v4.7.11
      • Include Xrootd 5
      • Versioning same as internal release, but with v5 (v5.Y.Z)
    • 3:20 PM 3:30 PM
      Collaborations 10m

      CTA read support for non-native tape formats (OSM/dCache and Enstore)

      • Project roadmap: #2
      • [Jorge]: Handling of the non-native formats by the CleanerSession: #122

      cta-frontend-grpc integration for CTA

      • Project roadmap: #38
      • [Michael] Frontend refactoring.
      • [Joao] btime and other parameters to be filled by EOS: #145

      CTA read support for non-native tape formats (OSM/dCache and Enstore)

      • Eric asked for an update from Jorge, about the current status of the CleanerSession fix

      cta-frontend-grpc integration for CTA

      • Jacek has completed a proff of concep implementation.
      • The next steps are:
        1. Integrate cta-frontend-grpc with the common code (to be shared by all cta-frontend implementations) that was developed recently by Michael.
        2. Add support for the cta-admin commands that to not require response (no streaming).
        3. Pick one cta-admin streaming command (for example tape ls) and implement it as proof of concept.
    • 3:30 PM 3:40 PM
      CTA dev topics 10m

      Tape drive states

      • [Vova]: Project status overview.

      Problem with m_maxBatchBytes logic in RecallTaskInjector

      • [Vova]: Issue #150

      PostgreSQL scheduler DB

      • [David]: Project status overview.

      cta-admin schedulinginfo subcommand

      • [Michael] Current implementation removed. See #126.
      • Print the next tape(s) that will be mounted per logical tape library.
      • ATM this is not useful because the VID is not included. With the PostgreSQL scheduler DB, we should be able to easily add this!

      REPACKING tape state and queue cleanup

      • [Joao]: Project status overview.
      • New states (REPACKING, REPACKING_DISABLED, EXPORTED, etc...) added in release v4.7.10-1: Diagram link

      EOS report logs

      • [Joao]: Project status overview. Changes merged to EOS #8.

      cta-admin build for CentOS Stream-8, and other CI changes

      • [Jorge]: Project status overview #72

      archiveretrieve-eos5 failure

      • [David] Current status of #129 debugging. This seems to have been impacting our CIs for a while.

      Proposal to change EOS disk fid to fxid

      • [Michael] Present and discuss solution to #134.

      Encryption key script optimization (cta-get-encryption-key)

      • Issue description #Ops-839. Main tasks:
      • [Joao]: Add the column Key ID to the table TAPE_POOL #137
      • [Richard]: Modify cta-get-encryption-key script to accept the Key ID, instead of using cta-admin #138
      • Modify Tape Server code to pass the Key ID to the script #139

      "needs discussion" topics

      Tape drive states

      • Vova is currently working on less intrusive tests.

      Problem with m_maxBatchBytes logic in RecallTaskInjector #150

      • The priority is to fix the bug that causes tapes to be dismounted before all the batches have been written.
      • We should also request the requests by number of available slots, not the size of files.

      cta-admin schedulinginfo subcommand

      • Has been done and will not be touched for a long while (at least until Postgres scheduler is done). Remove this from discussion topics.

      EOS report logs

      • It has been merged to EOS. Joao needs to discuss with Julien how this will be used in CTA.

      archiveretrieve-eos5 failure

      • Remove this from next agenda.

      Proposal to change EOS disk fid to fxid

      • Always use hexadecimal value, as discussed in ticket.

      Encryption key script optimization (cta-get-encryption-key)

      • Richard with work independently on the script changes. They key --keyid will be used as the option to pass the key instead of the vid.
      • Vova will work on the tape server side changes.
    • 3:40 PM 3:50 PM
      AOB 10m

      HTTP REST API, Activities and Priorities

      • [Julien]: Specification document status and remarks.

      Other

      • Room 513/R-068 is booked every week, until the EOY, for the CTA dev meeting.

      Feature toggles (aka feature flags)

      • Joao offered to write a one-page document explaining the benefits of this development technique, and proposing a way of using it in our section. It should contain the required effort to implement.