Workshop on Test Facilities and measurement equipment needed for the LHC exploitation
The series tests of the LHC cold masses and related magnetic measurement will be completed beginning 2007. The test facilities will then be modified to support the accelerator exploitation. Here below a tentative lists of requirements to consider for these facilities :
• test the cold masses after repair or to finalise from spare parts, i.e. for each SSS to exchange in the machine ;
• reproduce at the laboratory level issues encountered in the LHC during Hardware Commissioning and further accelerator exploitation, and study solutions ;
• measure magnetic field characteristics to help and improve the beams, in particular the effects depending on current history in the superconducting magnets ;
• similar requirements exist for the resistive magnets of the LHC or the injector chains ;
• maintain a reference instrumentation infrastructure needed for magnet improvement and related components . magnetic materials, superconducting cables.
A half day workshop will take place to review these goals, collect the related technical requirements and evaluate the possibilities to modify the existing infrastructure and equipment accordingly. The perspective of new magnet developments will as well be covered.