(Academia Sinica Grid Computing), Simon Lin
(Grid Computing Center - ASGC-Academia Sinica)
Agenda Items (taken from Erics email)
1. sharpening the task force objectives.
2. preparing for the upcoming EGI Technical Forum
3. Next Meeting and AoB.
- Most discussion items are based on the set of slides sent by Eric
earlier in the morning.
- Current approach in the architecture document looks more generalized
and covers myriad of usecases, we need to narrow down the scope and
streamline our work on defining concrete set of scenarios
- One of the important messages from the review is to contemplate on
the VM and Data security and privacy within a cloud in association
with Grids (the review report will be sent soon)
- It was concluded that some of the directions coming out from the
review which cannot not be directly addressed or implemented, can be
drafted in a positive language for our reviewers.
- In the current draft multiple features are identified to cloudify
EMI products and areas - thereby one can describe unlimited
functionalities, it makes more sense to at least have a motivation
behind every feature
- After the EMI review there has been some restructuring in the
project, one important change is the Virtualization and Cloud group is
now moved from JRA to NA-3
- Once NA3 formalities are done this group will organize more regular
and frequent meetings
Actions (Please add if I miss something)
- Eric to contact Patrick on designating someone from the data area to
contribute in our team
- All: Restructuring of the architecture document according to the review
- Shahbaz will compile and edit the changes from all the contributions
- As most of the participants visiting EGI TF, it would be productive
to have a F2F (not sure open / closed). Simon / Eric will check the
room and logistics etc.
Related sections with exact wordings from the technical review report
Section: Recommendations concerning future work
Establish a clear EMI market positioning with respect to Cloud
computing. Understand and focus on the security issues around
virtualisation and consider how grid technologies do not present these
Section: Demonstrations and Video
A cloud position paper has been produced and may be the starting point
for deriving the answers to the two questions above. In other words:
EMI is not cloud, so why is this a good thing and what does EMI
offer that Cloud services do not? After that, identify who (or, what
kind of person in industry) might be interested in those kind of
differences and target them for future outreach communications. It
very relevant if EMI would discuss the Cloud proposition with other
DCI projects such as EDGI and StatusLab and to make sure that there is
no double work.
Section: Work Package 3: SA1 Maintenance and Support:
The project should understand all security issues around Clouds, for
instance the subtle but important differences in handling requirements
between the processing of Medical data and personal identification
data within an external Cloud by a commercial Cloud supplier. In
particular it is important that these sensitive and private data do
not become “visible” to unauthorised persons but the manner in which
might be achieved is very different in each case.
Section: USE AND DISSEMINATION OF FOREGROUND: Dissemination
The slogan “Works with EMI” needs consolidating and a more precise
definition should be given alongside an explanation of the real
benefit of EMI for people who might use it. Another important aspect
of the external communication is EMI positioning vis-à-vis Cloud: this
is not yet clear enough. The project should highlight more clearly
the differences between Cloud and its own aims and objectives, and
why and how EMI is better.