TMB Meeting

→ Europe/Zurich
600/R-002 (CERN)

600/R-002

CERN

15
Show room on map
Erwin Laure
Description
A phone conference has been set up:
To dial in to the conference call:
Call: +41227676000 (Main)
Enter access code: 0170047.

To join the web conference, click here: https://audioconf.cern.ch/call/0170047.
SA1: Nick, James, Steve Sites: Jeff, Daniele SA3: Oliver JRA1: Francesco G., Francesco P., Massimo S. and CREAM group, Antony Security: John NA4: Vangelis, Johan HEP: Patricia CMS: Andrea Atlas: Massimo L. Minutes of last meeting ======================= No comments. Action List =========== New tasks by NA4, extracted from their QR #7945 (MPI jobs on multicore/SMP machines) Francesco G: assign to me. Some work has been already done in Catania and the plan is to integrate it in MPIStart. Discussion between Roberto Barbera and the MPI WG is on-going. Erwin: sites are still concerned about the configuration needed to accomodate MPI jobs, because of the risk to waste resources Action on Nick to follow how to configure sites to support MPI. Jeff: the description of a job arriving at a CE should contain an estimation of its wall clock execution time. The problem is less important for a large site than for a small one. #7943 (Hydra clients not available) Oliver: about to be released, but no exact timeline Erwin: push clients earlier than servers #7942 (Insufficient Developers Guides) A guide for application developers, not for gLite developers. Erwin: the working group on data management in NA4 can point out also deficiencies in APIs Oliver: for YAIM please post bugs Close task. #7935 (LFC performance) Requirement coming mainly from bioinformatics. Massimo L.: HEP applications (mainly ATLAS and LHCb) are heavy users and asked some modifications in the past, because of some performance problems in certain conditions, in particular when doing bulk operations. Now it seems ok. Erwin: to Vangelis: please ask their usage scenario, to see if they use LFC in a inefficient way or if there is a actual issue to be addressed Task assigned to Vangelis. #7933 (Web Service interfaces for WMS and DMS) Francesco G.: after a quick survey in JRA1, the main missing WS seems to be LFC, which is not even planned. Massimo L.: LFC has been built by Mattias Ellert on a number of platforms other than SLC4. American sites are moving to use LFC, but they require some http access; a prototype exists inside ATLAS, willing to contribute it back. Francesco G.: you should talk to the DM people. #7932 (Lack of APIs for various middleware services/components) Erwin: there has been some work in Catania; what about moving it into RESPECT? Francesco G.: there is also considerable work done in g-Eclipse, those APIs could also be contributed to gLite or to respect. There was some discussion at an EGEE'08 session. It's true that their gLite APIs currently depend strongly on g-Eclipse libs, but they said they are working to reduce/remove them. Vangelis: they want to apply for RESPECT. To be discussed. #7931 (Ability to specify machine architecture in job descriptions) Steve: the operations should fill the corresponding GLUE fields. It should be quite easy to do it, but we should agree on the values. Assign the task to Steve. Francesco G.: once the values are published, it's already possible to match against them, although it's not possible yet to explicitly select a subcluster when submitting to a CE. #7841 (Review the dCache and DPM documentation regarding #6901) Assign task to Vangelis. #7826 (SA3 to provide a list of services and their versions) Oliver: the information has been there for years; if it instead refers to what is needed or supported, it should be provided by SA1 Erwin: in the roadmap we should say how long each service is supported and how and when it will be retired. We will do it in the next months. Close task. #7678 (Follow up security implementation on xrootd and dCache) John: we had an SCG meeting; Romain will contact dCache developers and see how this progresses. #7677 (Discuss with Francesco moving ahead with matchmaking) Francesco G. describes how matchmakin should be in the general case based on few parameters, encompassing all what is needed to run a certain application, e.g. match a tag representing the software environment certified by the corresponding VO. Erwin: in general agree with Francesco. But a discussion on this is outside the scope of the TMB. Probably we should recreate a design team or similar group. Close task. But Francesco G. to keep an eye on how matchmaking is used. #7676 (Give an update on Dashboard expansion after the EGEE08 HEP session) Patricia: during EGEE'08 Julia made a presentation on this. We are now able to collect information from jobs coming from the WMS, but with a delay of 30 minutes, which is not good enough for the dashboard. Moreover this requires periodic queries to the LB, which is not good either. The plan is to use LB notifications. Tests are on-going on a small testbed. Once the mechanism is proven reliable, the implementation in the dashboard would be easy. Jeff: is this work done on a branch of LB? Francesco G.: notifications have been there for a long time, just not much used and tested. Erwin: but is there interest from other communities? Patricia: there is interest from the Fusion community. Jeff: there is interest from the dutch VLEMed as well. #7674 (JRA1 and SA1 to examine what happens if a site doesn't support all approved CAs) Close task. Create another task with "how to cope with..." Andrea: how is this different from banning a user? CREAM: Status and Open Issues ============================= #7675 (SA1 to develop method for transition to CREAM) This will be provided next week. Oliver: CREAM will be released not as a production service, since there is no production WMS able to submit to it. CREAM will not be for the moment a replacement for the LCG-CE. Patricia: ALICE has been using CREAM in production since before summer. Karlsruhe putting cream in production next week. Focus on the proxy renewal strategy: ------------------------------------ John summarizes the problem, due to incoming connection on the WN. Erwin: is there a proposal by developers? Massimo: MyProxy, as suggested by Maarten, transparent to the user Francesco P. summarizes the solution John: this has been discussed at the conference; there are also other proposals, e.g. by Chad. Francesco G.: I have involved the SCG to have an opinion on the two approaches, push vs pull. Maarten: a short term possibility is to deploy CREAM with proxies via GridFTP. It would be no worse than now, waiting for a proper solution. Erwin: JRA1 to provide a short document with the different approaches and costs R-GMA and Monitoring strategy ============================= Followup discussion on the status of R-GMA. There are two potential solutions for user-level monitoring, R-GMA and ActiveMQ. The TMB should decide on the importance of this issue and which solution to pursue. Erwin: at the moment no application group uses RGMA for application level monitoring; operations are moving to ActiveMQ; question: what should be the tool to advertise to the users? Oliver: can ActiveMQ be deployed to enable user-level monitoring properly? James explains the different options available for messaging, all of them are easily deployable. On ActiveMQ: it is Java, it is enormous and it still has bugs, but there is a big development community and also company support. ActiveMQ easily fits in our environment. We need to understand operational costs, for both operations and applications. Francesco G.: what is the security model? James: ActiveMQ uses a JAAS plugin mechanism to allow for different authentication and authorization providers, similar to the mechanism used in Tomcat; messages are signed and can be encrypted; all is done in the broker. Antony: from our experience, network deployment issues need to be taken in consideration. [Antony describes the new features of RGMA, see document distributed to the list.] Erwin: how many messaging systems are we going to support as a project? of course applications are free to choose what they want. As a project we tend to take what comes from outside if possible; for messaging this can be the way as well. Oliver: the project is not funding RGMA, there is some volunteer effort in JRA1, but only for development. Antony: RGMA is not only a messaging system. Massimo L.: what happens in OSG? James: they use GRATIA for transport; we have agreed to have a bridge between the two infrastructure Conclusion: the strategy is to support one messaging system, identified by SA1, for infrastructure monitoring. This could then be used also by applications. EGEE will continue to support the current RGMA infrastructure until needed. The new RGMA will not be generally deployed, but of course a partner is free to do it (e.g. Grid Ireland). RGMA could eventually be part of the RESPECT programme. RGMA development can continue in JRA1, but no effort for certification and deployment would come from SA3 and SA1. Antony opposes the conclusion, given the two-years work behind the latest version of RGMA, ready for certification. Task on SA1 to identify a pilot user community for application monitoring (e.g. the dashboard) James: the monitoring should also enter the gLite release process. Comments on JRA1 Workplan ========================= Closure of SDJ WG ================= Database WG Update ================== Postponed to next meeting AOB === Nothing.
There are minutes attached to this event. Show them.
    • 10:30 → 10:50
      Minutes of last meeting and action list 20m
      list of actions
    • 10:50 → 11:10
      CREAM: Status and Open Issues 20m
      focus on proxy renewal strategy
    • 11:10 → 11:30
      R-GMA and Monitoring strategy 20m
      Followup discussion on the status of R-GMA. There are two potential solutions for user-level monitoring, R-GMA and ActiveMQ. The TMB should decide on the importance of this issue and which solution to pursue. * R-GMA - Steve Fisher * ActiveMQ - James Casey
    • 11:30 → 11:40
      Comments on JRA1 Workplan 10m
    • 11:40 → 11:45
      Closure of SDJ WG 5m
    • 11:45 → 12:05
      Database WG Update 20m
    • 12:05 → 12:15
      AOB 10m