The following books and articles are suggested as prior reading to help provide some background information on statistical issues in data analyses.
- "Statistical Data Analysis" Glen Cowan
- L. Lyons, "Statistics for Nuclear and Particle Physicists", (Cambridge
University Press, New York, 1986).
- F. James, "Statistical Methods in Experimental Physics", 2nd ed., (World Scientific, Singapore, 2007)
- O. Behnke, K. Kroeninger, G. Schott and T. Schoerner-Sadenius, "A Practical Guide to Statistical Methods" (Wiley-VCH 2013)
- L. Lista, "Statistical Methods for Data Analysis in Particle Physics", Springer, 2017
- Particle Data Group review on Statistics, Glen Cowan
(There are also sections on Probability Theory and on Monte Carlo Techniques.) This is a short summary, and not intended to be a tutorial.