CTA Dev Meeting

Europe/Zurich
513/R-068 (CERN)

513/R-068

CERN

19
Show room on map
Michael Davis (CERN)
Videoconference
CTA Dev Meeting
Zoom Meeting ID
68646510714
Description
CTA Dev Meeting
Host
Michael Davis
Useful links
Join via phone
Zoom URL
    • 3:00 PM 3:10 PM
      CTA Release Workflow 10m
    • 3:10 PM 3:20 PM
      CTA Release Roadmap 10m

      See CTA Release Roadmap

      Releases 4.7.13-X (1 / 2 / 3)

      • Milestones link
      • Release date: 7 Nov / 9 Nov / 15 Nov
      • Pre-prod deployment date: 14 Nov (4.7.13-1)
      • Prod deployment date: -
      • NOTE: Won't be deployed to prod due to bug with HOME #209

      Release 4.7.14-1

      • Milestones link
      • Release date: 16 Nov
      • Pre-prod deployment date: TBD
      • Prod deployment date: TBD
      • NOTE: Fixes bug with HOME #209

      Release 4.8.0-1

      • Milestones link
      • Release date: TBD
      • Pre-prod deployment date: TBD
      • Prod deployment date: TBD
      • v4.8.0-0.rc5 will be released on top of v4.7.14-1, containing the feedback for the laters review

      Public Release

      • Latest version available on public repo: v4.7.14-1, v5.7.14-1
      • We should not trigger a public release before it has been deployed locally to production, without issues. This needs to be updated in our procedure.
    • 3:20 PM 3:30 PM
      CTA dev topics 10m

      REPACKING tape state and queue cleanup

      • Testing of release candidate version v4.8.0-0.rc4. Feedback: #83
      • Usage of reclaim command needs to be discussed: document

      HTTP Tape REST API tests feedback

      • Discusion ops issue #894
      • Feedback doc: Wiki link
      • New stress tests required (1M+ files): Use FTS or CTA CI with EOS token?

      Add feature to disable tape files on problematic tapes

      • For details check #124

      Listing of tests to execute in pre-production

      • For discussion check link

      "" vs <> in headers

      • For discussion: #39

      "Needs discussion" topics

      "Dev issue needed" topics

      REPACKING tape state and queue cleanup

      • Regarding the "tape reclaim" command, we have decided to only allow it on ACTIVE/DISABLED states.

      HTTP Tape REST API tests feedback

      • We should not worry about stalling (unless we set stalling rules, it should not affect us). Ideally, stalling could be entirely removed for tape-enabled instances of EOS, but this is a task that needs to be discussed in more detail.
      • The important thing is to clearly define how we do backpressure on the CTA side. Julien will provide this info.

      Add feature to disable tape files on problematic tapes

      • This is a desired feature also for Jacek / dCache!
      • We will separate the work in two parts: (1) Modify catalogue and cta-admin tool to be able to mark files as unavailable; (2) Modify scheduler logic to ignore retrieval of disabled files, or requeue them in case of dual tape copy.

      Listing of tests to execute in pre-production

      • We will add a wiki page on gitlab to track every test that needs to be performed in pre-production. This table should be completed by the developers every time that they do a merge request. It will be part of the merge request procedure, and checked during every release to see if no entry is missing. 

      "" vs <> in headers

      • We will follow Jorge's suggestion and only use <> for external packages such as stdlib ones.

      Release notes conflict

      • Updated release notes have been a common source of merge conflicts during a merge to main. This will need to be addressed, but for now will keep the discussion open. Jorge will open a ticket to keep track of it.
    • 3:30 PM 3:40 PM
      CTA dev board review 10m

      Objective

      • Look at the active issues in our CTA dev board.
      • Decide if they should be kept, removed, reassigned, prioritised, etc.

      Review "In progress" issues

      • Full CTA board: link

      Review specific topic

    • 3:40 PM 3:50 PM
      AOB 10m

      Other

      • Room 513/R-068 is booked every week, until the EOY, for the CTA dev meeting.