The current version of CERN EOS that provides a storage solution for collecting results from CERN LHC experiments is a result of 10 years research work of providing the best disk-based low-latency high-availability storage solution. These research results are ready for productization. The first step in CERN-Comtrade EOS Productization is providing professional documentation for EOS.
We are presenting the development of professional documentation for EOS open source software. This project is unifying CERN research results of providing the best low-latency storage solution with Comtrade’s knowledge and experiences of 23 years in providing professional documentation for cutting edge storage and data management. Development of EOS documentation has the following steps:
(1) Knowledge transfer of CERN research results to Comtrade developers.
(2) A real deployment of EOS that enables Comtrade’s developers to prepare the list of EOS features.
(3) Documentation of separate EOS features based on experiences from real installations
(4) Joining of Comtrade developers with CERN storage researchers to achieve the goal of EOS productization. This allows Comtrade developer submitting change requests (bugs), improvement requests, and improvement proposals for CERN EOS team.
(5) Structuring of collected and documented EOS features into the coherent documentation.
(6) Providing the complete structure and style of professional documentation for EOS.
This is a description of documentation process that has started in 2015. Currently, it is an independent research process – the research work of providing professional documentation for end customers.