HEPiX - IPv6 Meeting Notes (03 Sept. 20)
Chaired by Bruno Hoeft as DaveK not able to attend. Notes by Bruno too.
Present: Dimitrios Christidis, Edoardo Martelli, Francesco Prelz, Raja Nandakumar, Martin Bly
Apologized: Kars Ohrenberg, Tim Chown, Andrea Sciaba, Dave Kelsey
- Tier-2 Desy-Zeuthen now IPv6 dual-stack ready
- Proposal handed in to deploy the small data center of 8000 virtual images/nodes with public IPv6 addresses only
- LHCb smoothly running
- At CERN VO-boxes with IPv4 only addresses
- 100G link deployment to CERN are soon implemented
- Odd problem IPv4 transfers starting moderate but slowing down to a very low rate
- Since traffic is running trough the firewall --> One suspicion is that the Firewall is the reason for the slowing down the transfer speed
- IPv6 transfers are much faster (--> this is may be the carrot we where looking for)
- Investigation is still ongoing
Tier1/Tier2 LHCOPN/LHCONE status:
Tier-1 : situation unchanged:
- FNAL : beginning of last month FTS traffic was increasing, but dropped down to more or less 0, e-mailed Phil DeMar, no response up to now
- RRC-KI-T1 - Kurchatov Institute in Moscow still IPv4 only
Tier-2 : Andrea updated his statistics (plots/tables)
- From June Desy-Zeuthen (DESY-ZN) is now dual-stack ready
- Vienne might have also done it, but I'm waiting for the confirmation of the experiments supported by it.
Tracking at DE-KIT of IPv4 top talkers:
Bruno showed plot (attached to agenda item).
During 4 hours inbound:
Src IP Addr Bytes(%)
BNL: 18.104.22.168 1.1 T(39.5)
CNAF : 131.154.x.x (various IPv4 addresses) 221.6 G( 4.3)
FNAL: 131.225.x.x (various IPv4 addresses) 90.9 G( 1.4)
During 2 hours outbound:
CERN: 128.142.x.x (various IPv4 addresses) 1.2 T( 32.5)
Can we do any IPv6-only testing now?
- Since CORONA many sites are more or less freezing all developing activities and only running services as it is there
- No activities are reported
September 2-day F2F (virtual) meeting:
- Take the IPv6-only testing on the agenda
two test bed ideas:
- Martin : set up a IPv6 only testbed at RAL (virtual infrastructure)
- I will ask at DE-KIT for a view IPv6 only Workernodes (WN)
Do we continue to use Vidyo?:
- Was not explicitly raised at the meeting,
- But since CERN is moving away from Vidyo, i would suggest to follow CERN to ZOOM
There are minutes attached to this event.