SciencePAD is an EMI (European Middleware Initiative) initiative investigating the feasibility of establishing an open source community dedicated to software and services for scientific research and contribute to the establishment of global knowledge networks in science. The SciencePAD Software Registries and Metadata Workshop brings together leading experts in the design and operation of software registries and the definition and use of metadata and ontologies for software and related objects. This workshop aims at understanding the requirements of different scientific communities, start a discussion on what the possible architectures and features could be, and establish a collaboration framework around the development of wide-scale software registries and metadata.
Alberto Di Meglio
DrAlberto Di Meglio
Roundtable introduction - interests, concerns and requirements [within the scope of software registries and metadata].1h
This session is dedicated to a round-of-the-table presentation from the attending groups about their on-going activities in the area of software information management and their current requirements and challenges. A 10-minute presentation from each participant (or team).
Bioinformatics (BioMedBridges, Elixir, etc.)
High Energy Physics (Invenio, DPHEP, CRISP)
Neutron and Photon Physics (PaNData, CRISP)
Grid software (EGI AppDB)
A list of possible topics for the discussion:
- Software registries architectures: single registries, federation, open APIs
- Links to other digital information management systems
- Registry functionality based on input from current experiences and the outcome of the SciencePAD PID workshop in January
Discussion: Software metadata1h 40m
A list of possible topics for discussion:
- Software information and description (types of info, existing "standards", formats, ontologies, etc.)
- Software annotations
- Persistent unique identifier for software, links to other PIDs
Wrap-up and next steps30m
Summary of identified areas of collaboration.
Next steps and proposals for coordination meetings or events