The EASY features were developed with the goal of fully exploiting the capabilities of the system while simplifying its setup and helping to understand the basic principles and operation of the systems with semiconductor devices:
1) The system incorporates a HV unit to bias the sensors.
2) Encapsulating box that protects against accidents and misuse.
3) The system includes an infrared laser to point to individual channels.
4) Experiments manual with basic experiments with a laser and radioactive sources
5) Acquisition software and data analysis macros adapted to the experiments manual.
In addition to these, the system has self-triggering capabilities, plus a diode, which may be used for triggering the acquisition. Thus, there is no need of an external trigger generator.
EASY includes an infrared laser and mounted on a focusing system to point individual channels, study charge sharing between channels and study the laser penetration in the semiconductor sensors. For these studies, EASY generates its own periodic trigger.
The system comes with a step by step guide that explains how to operate with it, given a clear explanation of the different type of runs to acquire the data, and with a proposal of basic exercises for the students like: setting the operation voltage of the sensors, finding the pedestals and the noise, the synchronization with the trigger, charge collection and energy deposition, depletion voltage of the sensor, charge sharing between neighbour strips, the spatial resolution of the sensor and spectroscopy with different radioactive source. As example, the study of the laser penetration in silicon sensors will be presented.