Thematic CERN School of Computing 2016
“Efficient, Parallel Programming of Scientific Data”
The 4th thematic CERN School of Computing will be held in Split, Croatia from Monday 23 May to Friday 27 May 2016 evening. Students should arrive on Sunday 22 May and leave on Saturday 28 May 2016.
The school is organized by CERN in collaboration with the University of Split (FESB - www.fesb.hr) and will be hosted at the Mediterranean Institute For Life Sciences (MEDILS) Conference Centre (www.medils.org). The Centre is a historical renovated building situated in a wooded and landscaped park located on the Adriatic Sea coast, a few kilometres from the centre of Split.
MedILS –Mediterranean Institute for Life Sciences
Meštrovićevo šetalište 45
HR – 21000 Split
Republic of Croatia
tel: +385 (0)21 555 600
fax: +385 (0)21 555 605
See http://www.medils.org/contact under the "Where are we" and "How to reach us" tabs for transport links.
- The nearest airport is Split (SPU).
- For bus departures and arrivals, see Bus station Split
- Traffic information for Croatia can be found at the Jadrolinija website
- Additional information on Split is available at The City of Split
The School is open to postgraduate students and research workers with a few years' experience in elementary particle physics, in computing, in engineering or in related fields. Participation is limited to 24 students. All nationalities from any country are welcome.
Students who have attended any previous main CERN Schools of Computing, who are interested in deepening their knowledge on the theme selected for tCSC2016, are most welcome to apply.
Participation in the School is for the entire duration of the programme. It is not possible to register or attend one theme only.
You must use a CERN account, or a CERN Lightweight account, to login and register. You can create a lightweight account at CERN via https://account.cern.ch/account/Externals/RegisterAccount.aspx
To apply, please fill in the registration form and provide the documentation requested.
Applicants should ensure that they have:
- completed the Registration Form online
- uploaded a signed formal letter of reference (on formal headed paper from the applicant's institute/organization) from their professor or supervisor.
- If your professor or supervisor does not wish to provide you with a letter directly, s/he can can email us your letter of reference instead. This should be sent directly to email@example.com, with the subject: Reference Letter tCSC2016: [name of applicant]
The formal letter of reference received by the School (whether uploaded or emailed) by Friday 19 February 2016 at the latest. If no letter is included, the application will be considered void and discarded from the selection process.
- To help you, we have prepared a model of Reference Letter that can be edited. This letter can be downloaded from the "Materials" box on the home page at https://indico.cern.ch/event/465189/
The number of participants is limited to 24.
Only applicants who are selected may attend the School. Selection will be done by the School Advisory Committee, and applicants will be informed of the selection decision by Friday 11 March.
Applicants will receive a Letter of Acceptance from the School, at which point they can be considered a participant.
Participants will be housed in the MEDILS conference centre, in shared double or triple rooms with private bathrooms.
Smoking is banned in the entire conference centre.
The language of the School is English. There will be no simultaneous translation.
Participants should have sufficient understanding of English to enable them to benefit from the School.
All meals are included in the school fee and will be provided to the student. The first meal will be the dinner on Sunday 22 May evening, and the last meal will be breakfast on Saturday 28th of May 2016.
Participants should note that lunch on Sunday 22 May 2016 is not provided, only the evening meal.
Participants are warned that all regular lunches and dinners will have a common, buffet-style, menu. There will be no a-la-carte facility and it will not be possible to accommodate special dietary requirements.
Participants should arrive at the MEDILS conference centre for on-site registration during the afternoon or early evening of Sunday 22 May 2016.
Participants are responsible for organising their own travel to and from the School location. The School does not organize travel tickets for participants. The travel cost to and from the school is not included in the school fee.
Participants are responsible for obtaining a valid visa to enter the country of the School location when this is required. The cost of a visa is not included in the school fee.
The total fee of the School is EUR 550 per participant.
The fee covers:
- Tuition and handouts
- Accommodation including breakfast and dinners in the MEDILS Conference Centre, starting with dinner on Sunday, 22 May 2016 to breakfast on Saturday 28 May 2016.
- Lunches and two daily coffee breaks in the conference centre from Monday 23 May to Friday 27 May 2016.
- All organized social activities (sport, excursions, special dinners ...) of which details will be given at a later time.
The fee does NOT cover:
- travel expenses from the participants' home location or working place to the MEDILS Conference Centre in Split and back.
- The cost of a travel visa where required.
- The school will neither arrange accommodation nor will cover any cost associated with an extended stay of students in Split. Participants arriving before Sunday evening 22 May or leaving after Saturday 28 May a.m. will have to organize their extended stay themselves.
- Any extra cost incurred during the stay (including private excursions, private expenses in the hotel and on the campus, private transport costs, private meals, etc.) will not be borne by the school organization.
- Any cost incurred by a participant not following the official excursion or social programme (e.g. meal cost of a participant not attending an excursion which includes a meal) will not be borne by the School organization.
- Any other expenses not explicitly mentioned as included in the fee.
Only applicants who have received the Letter of Acceptance from the School may be considered a participant, and can then proceed to paying fees.
The total fee must be paid prior to the School into the account below by 22 April 2016. Please ensure your name and institute are clearly marked, otherwise it will be very difficult to trace your payment.
For participants located at CERN and/or with CERN internal transfer capabilities:
Please make a TID for CHF 615 to budget code 23104.
For participants external to CERN and/or with no CERN internal transfer capabilities:
Please transfer EUR 550 to:
|Bank Name||UBS SA, Genève|
|Bank Address||CERN, CH-1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland|
|Beneficiary||CERN Computing and Data|
|IBAN||CH20 0024 0240 FP10 2816 3|
The cost of the event is subsized by the School. Accordingly, participants are expected to demonstrate a high level of commitment and engagement to the scientific programme.
The CERN School of Computing Advisory Committee reserves the right to refuse reimbursement of part or all of the fee in the case of late cancellation. However, any cancellation would be considered on an individual basis.
In all cases of withdrawal or cancellation, whether last-minute or otherwise, the choice of a replacement, if any, will lie entirely with the Advisory Committee. It is not a decision that can be taken by the laboratory or institute where the withdrawing participant works.
Participation in the CERN School of Computing and in all activities organized in the framework thereof (whether by CERN or by third parties) is at the participant's own risk and neither CERN nor the third parties concerned accept any liability with regard thereto. Equipment and materials made available to participants during the CERN School of Computing are made available on an "as-is-basis" without any warranties express or implied. Their use shall be under the sole responsibility and at the sole risk of the participants.
Participants shall be solely responsible and liable regarding their property and CERN shall have no liability in case of loss, theft or damage.
Participants shall ensure that, there shall at all times during the latter's participation in the CERN School of Computing be insurance cover against illnesses and accidents valid in the place of venue, and against disability and death resulting from illnesses and accidents of the participants. The participant shall hold CERN free and harmless from, and indemnify it for any cost or expense resulting from the situation where any part of the insurance cover detailed above is not in place.
Please address all enquiries and correspondence related to the School to firstname.lastname@example.org