Arrival in Vienna and Transport to the Venue
This page provides information on how to get to the venue from the airport, by train and by car. When using public transportation, you may also want to look at the relevant page.
The Vienna International Airport (VIE) in Wien-Schwechat is situated about 20 km south-east of Vienna. On the airport's web site you find flight information as well as transportations into the city center:
- Local Train: S-Bahn to station Wien-Mitte/Landstrasse (takes 24 minutes).
Departure from the airport about every 30 minutes (single ticket 4.10 Euros). Tickets are available at the ÖBB ticket counter in the arrival hall and the ticket machine located in the arrival hall, the passage to the platforms and on the platforms. The tickets are valid for connections in Vienna as well (urban railways, underground, tram and bus). All lines are going to Wien-Mitte or beyond, but please mind the right direction (just follow the crowd - hardly anybody goes in the opposite direction). From there take the underground U4 to Karlsplatz, then walk to the venue, passing the Naschmarkt.
- City Airport Train (CAT) to terminal station Wien-Mitte/Landstrasse (takes 16 minutes).
Departure from the airport every 30 minutes (single ticket 11 Euros). Schedule
Then take the underground U4 to Karlsplatz (extra ticket required, 2.40 Euros)
- Taxi from the airport to the conference venue (about 45 Euros)
- Vienna Airport Lines Bus Service to
- Wien Schwedenplatz: every 30 minutes; Travel time 20 minutes
- Wien Westbahnhof: every 20 minutes; Travel time 45 minutes
Single ticket 8 Euros. Schedule
- ÖBB-Train: IC or Railjet to station Wien Hauptbahnhof (takes 15 to 18 minutes).
Departure from the airport about every 30 minutes (single ticket 4.10 Euros). Tickets are available at the ÖBB ticket counter in the arrival hall and the ticket machine located in the arrival hall, the passage to the platforms and on the platforms. The tickets are valid for connections in Vienna as well (urban railways, underground, tram and bus).
If you prefer travelling by train you will find all the necessary information at the Austrian Federal Railways website or via phone +43-5-1717.
How to reach the venue from railway stations:
- from Wien Hauptbahnhof (terminal railway station West):
Underground U1 to "Taubstummengasse", or tram line 1 (direction "Prater Hauptallee") to stop "Resselgasse"
- from Wien Westbahnhof (terminal railway station West):
Underground U3 to "Volkstheater", change there to U2 and exit at stop "Karlsplatz"
- from Wien Meidling (terminal railway station South & East):
Tram line 62 or Badner Bahn (direction Oper) to stop "Resselgasse"
- from Franz-Josefs-Bahnhof (terminal railway station North-West):
Tram line D (direction "Alfred-Adler-Straße") to stop "Burgring"
- from Wien-Nord / Praterstern (railway station North):
Underground U1 to "Karlplatz"
Coming by car is generally not recommended, as the car will rather be a burden in the city, while public transportation coverage is excellent. If you still want to come by car, here are some general directions. Please use a route planner (such as Google Maps) for more details.
- from the South and East: Südautobahn (A2) - Südosttangente (A23) - Exit Gürtel - Südtirolerplatz - Favoritenstrasse - Gusshausstrasse
- from the West: Westautobahn (A1) - Hietzinger Kai - Schönbrunner Straße - Rechte Wienzeile - Schleifmühlgasse - Paulanergasse - Gusshausstrasse
- from the North: Donauuferautobahn (A22) - Südosttangente (A23) - Exit Gürtel - Südtirolerplatz - Favoritenstrasse - Gusshausstrasse
Please bear in mind that you have to buy the official highway toll label ("Vignette") before using any motorway in Austria (more information at http://www.asfinag.at/toll).
Please also note that public parking is not free of charge in the inner districts of Vienna and it is limited to a maximum of 2 hours per stay. For more information, consult the parking management website of the City of Vienna. There are also underground car parks close to the venue, but they are rather costly.