The conference will take place in Taft Museum of Art, downtown Cincinnati, 316 Pike Street.
Taft parking garage is underneath the rear part of the museum - one enters from the front of the museum, on the left. It is free and open to all workshop attendees.
We have reserved a block of rooms at the historic Residence Inn Cincinnati Downtown/The Phelps which is a short walk from the conference venue.
To take advantage of the promotional rates, 175.00 USD (single) - 275.00 USD (double) per night, use the following link. Last day to book extended: 9/12/18!
Other nearby hotel options include:
- Hampton Inn & Suites Newport - $134 / night, Address: 275 Columbia St, Newport KY (at Newport on the Levee in KY across the pedestrain Purple People Bridge, 23 min walk)
- Millennium Hotel - $108 / night, Address: 150 W 5th St, Cincinnati, OH (near fountain square, 17 min walk)
- Quality Inn & Suites - $79 / night, Address: 800 W 8th St, Cincinnati, OH (35 minute walk)
Information about the conference series
There are several open questions in Physics today each of which touches the fields of both Particle Physics and Astroparticle/Cosmology. For example, only 5% of the Universe is described by the Standard Model of particle physics. A far larger contribution comes from the elusive Dark Matter whose existence has been inferred from Astroparticle measurements, and for which a large variety of models have been built by the theory community. Dark Matter is searched for in dedicated direct and indirect detection experiments but also in high-energy collisions at the LHC. Other subjects, such as the baryogenesis is still an open question related both to leptogenesis and CP violation and the matter content of today’s Universe. The knowledge of the neutrino sector has greatly increased over the past decades, but the question of the hierarchy is not yet solved and would need both accelerator/astroparticle and cosmological measurements to be fully understood. The physics of inflation which will be better constrained in the coming years would also need skills from both fields to be fully explored. Is a simple extension of the Standard Model sufficient or do we need more? In many fields the “single experiment” measurements have given way to more global views of our models: electroweak fits, exploring the parameter space of models beyond the Standard Model taking into account measurements and limits on new signatures.
The IPA2018 conference will bring together experimentalists and theorists to discuss the topics mentioned above with an emphasis on exchange between the different but correlated fields.
Local Organizing Committee:
- Joachim Brod
- Colin Bischoff
- Jared Evans
- Akshay Ghalsasi
- Stefania Gori
- Bibhushan Shakya
- Alan Schwartz
- Jure Zupan
International Advisory Committee:
- Ben Allanach (DAMTP)
- Adrian Bevan (Queen Mary)
- Marcella Bona (Queen Mary)
- Marco Ciuchini (Roma Tre)
- Jodi Cooley-Sekula (SMU)
- Zerwas Dirk (LAL)
- Wolfgang Gradl (Mainz)
- Jonathan Hays (Queen Mary)
- Sophie Henrot-Versille (LAL)
- Alexander Lenz (Durham)
- Michael Roney (Victoria)
- Jessie Shelton (Urbana-Champaign)
Previous workshops in the series:
Things to do in Cincinnati
Cincinnati is vibrant city with a lot of fun to be had! Below we have a handful of recommendations, but there is so much more.
Food & Drink:
Cincinnati is home to many exception restaurants, bars, and breweries spanning a wide range of prices. If you are looking for something in particular, ask a local!
Google map of restaurants available here.
- Nearby Breakfast
- Sleepy Bee Cafe
- Maplewood Kitchen and Bar
- First Watch
- Nearby Dining
- Christian Moerlein's Lager House
- Nada - Mexican
- Butcher and Barrel - Argentinian
- Lalo Restaurant - Pan-Asian Fusion
- Taft's Ale House - brewery in an old church
- Quan Hapa - Asian streetfood
- Senate - hot dogs
- Nearby Fine Dining
- The Orchid's at Palm Court - ranked one of the best restaurants in the country
- Jean Robert's Table - French
- Boi Na Braza - Brazilian
- Mita's Restaurant and Bar - Spanish tapas
- Sartre OTR - new American, French
- Salazar - new American
- Abigail Street -Mediterranean, tapas
- Further away, but exceptional
- Mazunte - best tacos in Ohio
- Sichuan Chili - excellent Sichuan food
- Layla Mediterranean - oustanding appetizers
- Singha - excellent Thai food
- The Wheel Oakley - sandwiches, Italian (take out)
- Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden - In addition to being the second-oldest zoo in the country, the Cincinnati Zoo is also one of the best, housing over 500 species in a beautiful setting.
- Newport Aquarium - In Newport on the Levee in KY, the aquarium hosts almost 100 different species.
- Cincinnati Musuem of Art - Situated in Eden Park, the museum's collection of over 67,000 works makes it one of the Midwest's most impressive art museums. Admission is always free.