This is the 2nd EPS Technology and Innovation Group's (TIG) Maker Event for Science, Technology and Interfaces at IdeaSquare, CERN.
The timely theme this year is "Physics for Health".
The purpose of the event is to offer young physicists and engineers new hands-on skills in hardware, software and related interfaces, around the domain of Health. Limited participation is through application (see Registration).
Physics and engineering students need various skills which -classically- are difficult to obtain during studies. Experiments necessitate many hard skills, such as physical understanding of the process, but also a bundle of other skills like know-how in instrumentation, hard- and software and strong team-work capabilities. In a physics laboratory an ever-changing neuralgic problem is interfacing of the experiment with –finally- the human who analyses, interprets and exploits the data.
This Hands-on-event aims to target this situation.
We propose to work on interfacing employing “hands-on” = really available devices. “Really available” means that the devices are modern, compact and affordable also for a standard laboratory. Instrumental building blocks could be for example:
- Raspberry Pi as standard platform.
- Comprehensive and easy-to use FPGA software.
- Detectors, e.g. a fast, semiconductor-based Avalanche Photodiode. These detectors employ plasmons and are used for technologies like LIDAR in industry.
- A camera: e.g. A BASLER B/W camera, which already contains an FPGA, permitting for ultraprecise timestamping. These cameras are often used in laboratories and are affordable.
- Local Precision Time Protocol.
Directions to CERN
Directions on how to get to CERN you can find here: https://home.cern/directions
When on CERN site, you can find the meeting venue Ideasquare with this Google-map: https://goo.gl/WNSa6P
For registering your laptop/mobile phone for wifi access at CERN, please fill in a request here: http://cern.ch/registerVisitorComputer - and use Hans Boe as the CERN contact person (on the last page of the request form).