Poster sessions on GatherTown
Please help us by uploading the PDF of your poster to Indico before:
Friday, September 17
Conference staff will upload your poster to Gather.Town
All registered and paid-in-full participants will be sent an email with a private link to the conference virtual venue.
We cannot post the link on Indico because then it would not be private anymore...
The poster sessions and exhibitor booths will be hosted on GatherTown, an online platform looking like an 80s video game. It is very easy to use and you do not need to create an account.
- There will be two poster sessions. The presenters have been divided between these sessions based on poster category and availability.
- The sessions are on Tuesday Sept. 21 09:00 - 11:00 PDT and Thursday Sept. 23 05:00 - 07:00 PDT. The presenters are scheduled to be at one of the two sessions (you can find the schedule HERE but are welcome to be present at both sessions if they are available.
- The posters will be up for the whole conference and GatherTown will be available 24 hours a day, so attendees can view posters and meet there at any time.
We recommend Chrome or Firefox - we tested Safari (which is in Beta) and it kind of works, but your avatar may move very slowly and your mic and camera may get "forgotten". Don't say we didn't warn you.
If you have trouble with your mic in Gather.Town after doing the tutorial, exit from Gather.Town, join again, and this time skip the tutorial. We don't understand this problem, which a few people had, at a prior conference and this may be fixed now. If it still exists the fix is simple.
We have built a venue with a lobby, 2 poster rooms and of course a cafeteria for follow-up conversations during the breaks.
Gather.Town is open 24 hours for the duration of the conference please feel free to use it for networking outside of the Poster Session times.
There is a video explaining how to connect and the main features. It was developed for another TRIUMF hosted conference, but does give you a good idea of GatherTown.
- The first time you use Gather.Town (by following the link in the e-mail), you will be sent to a little mini-Tutorial that will show you how to move around, and you can create an Avatar. Please give it your real name, including your last name. Otherwise no one will know who you are or how to find you, however realistic you make your avatar.
- Once you have done the tutorial you will go to the Arrivals Lobby of the venue. Arrows on the floor will make it really obvious which way to go to get to the main conference area.
- If you know the name of the person presenting the poster you want to see, you can select their name in the participant list on the left and "Locate on map" or "Follow"(more info) and a helpful line will be drawn on the map showing you how to get to the presenter (who will hopefully be standing by their poster).
- You can find the presenter's name by looking in the Indico agenda. You can also find the Contribution Number of the poster by looking in the Contribution List.
- When your avatar is close to other avatars, you can see their video and hear what they are saying. It's kind of a bit like real life, only not really. But you can talk to people, which is good.
- The area close to each poster also lets you look at the PDF file of the poster by clicking on the "x" button. Then you can discuss it with the presenter and see their video and hear what they (and anyone else in the same area) are saying.
HOW TO UPLOAD YOUR POSTER FILE
Go to the 'My Contributions' from the menu selection on the left side of the page https://indico.cern.ch/event/1027296/contributions/ and locate your oral presentation.
- Click on the title, which will open a window with your contribution.
- Locate on the page "Presentation Material" at the bottom of the page, and click on the ‘pencil’ icon.
- Choose Add Materials to the Contribution.
- You may "drag & drop” Poster PDF or choose to upload from a folder on your computer.
- The poster manager will run a script and place your poster on your virtual poster board for you.
- Please upload your Poster PDF file to Indico by FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 17.
Any poster presentation questions can be sent to Carla Babcock: firstname.lastname@example.org