DESY is located in the west of Hamburg, well within the city boundaries, and can be reached easily by local public transport.
Travel instructions and general information are available on the DESY Welcome Services pages, but here is some information collected:
- To Hamburg Altona station.
- Continue by bus line 1 (direction Schenefelder Holt) directly to the main entrance of DESY (bus stop Zum Hünengrab/DESY), traveling time approx. 25 min.
- Or continue by S-Bahn (local city train) line S1 or S11 (direction Blankenese/Wedel) to Othmarschen. Then go on with bus line 1 (direction Schenefelder Holt). On foot: leave the city train station at the Waitzstrasse exit, turn right at the bottom of the stairs, turn left onto Waitzstrasse, right onto Gross Flottbeker Strasse and follow that road directly to DESY, walking time approx. 25 min.
- Optional: taxi, traveling time approx. 15-20 min.
- From the Hamburg airport Fuhlsbüttel:
- Continue with city train line S1 (direction Blankenese/Wedel) to Othmarschen station. Then go on with bus line 1 (direction Schenefelder Holt) to the main entrance of DESY (bus stop Zum Hünengrab/DESY).
- Optional: taxi traveling time approx. 40-50 min.
Exit the Autobahn (A7) at HH-Bahrenfeld. Arriving in Hamburg from the South: turn left onto the main road (Osdorfer Weg). Arriving in Hamburg from the North: turn right onto the main road (Osdorfer Weg). After approx. 1.5 km, turn right onto Notkestraße. The main entrance of DESY is the second road on the left.
DESY Hamburg Site, side entrance
The side entrance of DESY is located on the Luruper Chaussee. The bus line 2 stops there (bus stop DESY). The side entrance is open for motorists from Monday until Friday, 06:00 to 19:00, and closed on weekends. It is open for pedestrians and cyclists at all times.
A contingency of rooms has been reserved at the DESY Hostel. We expect that school participants register at the hostel for the full duration of the school. If/when you register for the hostel, please mention the keyword "Prefit20" (in the field "Additional Text" and "DESY Group").
Canteen and Places near DESY
The DESY canteen is open Mon through Friday, 7am to 11pm, Saturdays 8am to 3pm, and Sundays 8am to 4pm. Here is a list of places in walkable distance from DESY that are open on Sunday afternoons or evenings:
- 6 mins walk: Bäckerei Junge (bakery) (open Sun 7am - 5pm)
- 6 mins walk: Restaurant Panetteria (Italian) (open Sun 6pm - 10pm)
- 13 mins walk: Restaurant Mahlzeit (Chinese) (open Sun 11:30am - 11pm)
There are also several fast food places at or near Ebertplatz (formerly Bahrenfeld Trabrennbahn). For much better options, best take the Bus to Othmarschen or Altona.
Both journeys start with Bus No.1 near DESY main gate. Since the capacity of the buses is limited, we should spread in time and - more importantly - avoid buying tickets at the driver.
Please buy your ticket in advance of the tour! The one-way ticket costs 3.40, online 3.30 Euros. You can also buy group tickets and/or day tickets.
Airbus-Tour: IMPORTANT: Bring your ID or Passport
Buses for airbus depart at 13:04, 13:14 (the one at 13:24 might be arriving late due to traffic in the tunnel through River Elbe).
How to get there:
- List of Participants
- Please make sure that you do not fulfil any of the criteria described in this questionaire
- Bring your photo ID or Passport !
Buses for the harbor tour depart at 13:24, 13:34, 13:44
How to get there: