The Vienna International Airport (VIE) in Wien-Schwechat is situated about 20 km south-east of Vienna. On the airport's web site you find flight information as well as transportations into the city center:
Local Train: S-Bahn to station Wien-Mitte/Landstrasse (takes 24 minutes).
Departure from the airport about every 30 minutes. Tickets are available at vending machines directly at the station (2 zones: 4.20 Euros) and are valid for connections in Vienna as well (urban railways, underground, tram and bus). All lines are going to Wien-Mitte or beyond, but please mind the right direction (just follow the crowd - hardly anybody goes in the opposite direction). From there take the underground U4 to Karlsplatz, then walk to the venue, through the park.
City Airport Train (CAT) to terminal station Wien-Mitte/Landstrasse (takes 16 minutes).
Departure from the airport every 30 minutes (single ticket 11 Euros). Schedule
Then take the underground U4 to Karlsplatz (extra ticket required, 2.10 Euros)
- Taxi from the airport to the conference venue (about 30-40 Euros)
Vienna Airport Lines Bus Service to
- Wien Schwedenplatz: every 30 minutes; Travel time 20 minutes
- Wien Meidling: every 20 minutes; Travel time 30 minutes
- Wien Westbahnhof: every 20 minutes; Travel time 45 minutes; Single ticket 8 Euros. Schedule
If you prefer travelling by train you will find all the necessary information at the Austrian Federal Railways website or via phone +43-5-1717.
How to reach the venue from railway stations:
from Wien Westbahnhof (terminal railway station West):
Underground U3 to "Stephansplatz", change there to U1 and exit at stop "Karlsplatz"
from Wien Meidling (terminal railway station South & East):
Tram line 62 or Badner Bahn (direction Oper) to stop "Resselgasse"
from Franz-Josefs-Bahnhof (terminal railway station North-West):
Tram line D (direction "Südbahnhof") to stop "Gusshausstrasse"
from Wien-Nord / Praterstern (railway station North):
Underground U1 to "Karlsplatz
Coming by car is generally not recommended, as the car will rather be a burden in the city, while public transportation coverage is excellent. If you still want to come by car, here are some general directions. Please use a route planner (such as Google Maps) for more details.
- from the South and East: Südautobahn (A2) - Südosttangente (A23) - Exit Gürtel - Südtirolerplatz - Favoritenstrasse - Wiedner Hauptstrasse - Resselgasse
- from the West: Westautobahn (A1) - Hietzinger Kai - Schönbrunner Straße - Rechte Wienzeile - now it's getting complicated: due to one way streets, you have to make a big circle around the venue until you can finally access in the same way as from south and east
- from the North: Donauuferautobahn (A22) - Südosttangente (A23) - Exit Gürtel - Südtirolerplatz - Favoritenstrasse - Wiedner Hauptstrasse - Resselgasse
Please also note that public parking is not free of charge in the inner districts of Vienna and it is limited to a maximum of 2 hours per stay. For more information, consult the parking management website of the City of Vienna. There are also underground car parks close to the venue, but they are rather costly.