We hope to be able to organise this school with physical presence, in Split, Croatia - and the rest of the information on this page assumes such a school. However, this obviously depends on the evolution of the pandemic, and on the sanitary restrictions in place. If an in-person school is impossible, we will move to an online format. We are closely monitoring the situation, and plan to confirm the format of the school several weeks before the school start.
Date and place
The 11th Thematic CERN School of Computing will be held in Split, Croatia from Sunday 19 June afternoon to Friday 24 June 2022 evening. Students should arrive on Sunday 19 June morning/midday and leave on Saturday 25 June.
The school is organized by CERN in collaboration with the University of Split and will be hosted at the Mediterranean Institute For Life Sciences (MEDILS) Conference Centre. The Centre is a historical renovated building situated in a wooded and landscaped park located on the Adriatic Sea coast, a few kilometres from the centre of Split.
MedILS –Mediterranean Institute for Life Sciences
Meštrovićevo šetalište 45
HR – 21000 Split
Republic of Croatia
tel: +385 (0)21 555 600
Applications and selection
We are committed to achieving an inclusive and stimulating environment at our schools, and we encourage all qualified persons to apply. Applicants will be considered regardless of nationality, gender, age, ethnic origin, individual differences of belief, sexual orientation, or disability.
The school is aimed at postgraduate (i.e. minimum of Bachelor degree or equivalent) students, engineers and scientists with a few years' experience in computing, in information security, or in related fields. We welcome applications from all countries and nationalities.
Students who have attended any previous CERN Schools of Computing, and who are interested in deepening their knowledge on the theme of this Thematic CSC, are also welcome to apply.
The programme of this school is targeted at people working in academia and research institutes, who as part of their job need to ensure security and resilience of computing resources they manage, and want to be prepared to detect and handle possible security incidents:
- service managers and service providers of distributed scientific computing infrastructures, both from IT departments and from experiments,
- people in charge of deploying cloud services used by scientists,
- security professionals, who would like to expand their knowledge in a more holistic fashion.
People who wish to attend this school are expected to be familiar with (should have some experience with):
- Unix-based systems (from the user and admin point of view)
- Programming (e.g. Python, C/C++) and related tools (e.g. git)
- Networking (OSI model, main network protocols such as DNS, IPv4/IPv6, TCP/UDP, HTTP, SSH, mail etc.)
- Applied cryptography (e.g. symmetric vs. asymmetric encryption, hash functions, SSL/TLS, digital certificates and signatures etc.)
To apply, please fill in the application form and provide the requested information.
In order to login, you may use a CERN account, an EduGAIN-enabled account, or a public service account (GitHub, Google, Facebook or LinkedIn account). Alternatively, you can create a CERN lightweight account, and then login with your email ("Guess access"). You will also need to create an Indico account during the application process, if you do not already have one.
Applicants should ensure that they have:
- completed the application form online, and
- uploaded a signed formal letter of reference (on formal headed paper from the applicant's institute/organization) from their professor or supervisor.
- If your professor or supervisor does not wish to provide you with a letter directly, s/he can email us your letter of reference instead. This should be sent directly to Computing.School@cern.ch, with the subject: Reference Letter tCSC security 2022: [name of applicant]
The letter of reference needs to be received by the school (whether uploaded or emailed) by Sunday 13 March 2022 (midnight CET) at the latest.
If no letter is included, the application will be considered void and discarded from the selection process. It is your responsibility to ensure we receive it.
The number of participants is limited to 30.
Participant selection is done by members of the CSC Advisory + Programme Committee, and is based on the profile and the motivation of the applicants. The goal is to select participants who have enough education and work experience to profit fully from the school, and for whom the academic programme of the school is relevant to their work or research.
Applicants will be informed of the selection decision by Tuesday 5 April 2022.
Selected applicants will receive an Invitation Letter from the school. Payment of the registration fee will confirm your place, at which point you will be considered a participant.
Participants must have health and accident cover that includes adequate protection (including emergency medical treatment, hospitalisation and repatriation in case of illness or accident), and against disability or death resulting from illnesses and accidents, for the country in which the School takes place. This insurance must also cover cases related to Covid-19 pandemic.
Participants shall hold CERN free and harmless from any cost or expense resulting from the situation where adequate insurance cover is not in place.
See http://www.medils.org/contact under the "Where are we" and "How to reach us" tabs for transport links.
- The nearest airport is Split (SPU).
- For bus departures and arrivals, see Bus station Split
- Additional information on Split is available at The City of Split
Participants should arrive at the MEDILS conference centre for on-site registration during the morning or midday of Sunday 19 June 2022.
Participants are responsible for organising their own travel to and from the School location. The School does not organize travel tickets for participants. The travel cost to and from the school is not included in the school fee. Important: do not book your travel before you get a confirmation from us that the School will indeed take place in person.
Participants are responsible for obtaining a valid visa to enter the country of the School location when this is required. The cost of a visa is not included in the school fee.
Accommodation and Meals
Participants will be housed in the MEDILS conference centre, or in a nearby hotel. Depending on their preferences, and subject to the Covid-19 restrictions and measures in place, participants will be accommodated either in single rooms, or in shared (twin) rooms, with private bathrooms. Room allocation for shared rooms is done by the school organisers, with the aim of bringing together participants with different backgrounds and profiles.
Accommodation from June 19 to June 25 is included in the School fee.
Smoking is banned in the entire conference centre.
All meals are included in the School fee. The first meal will be the lunch on Sunday 19 June, and the last meal will be breakfast on Saturday 25 June.
Participants should note that breakfast on Sunday 19 June is not provided, only the lunch and evening meal.
All food onsite at MEDILS is served as a buffet, while the special meals out are at local restaurants.
We will ask you in your application form about any specific dietary requirements you may have, and do our best to accommodate accordingly, given the local catering options available. However we cannot make any guarantees.
Organizing the school in an environmentally responsible way is one of our goals.
During the school, we will:
- Serve meals and drinks with washable plates, glasses and utensils; or with recycled and/or biodegradable ones
- Have vegetarian and vegan dishes available as an alternative to dishes based on meat
- Limit the amount of printed materials (and in particular, only provide the printed version of the school booklet to those who want to have one)
- Separate and recycle waste
Please help us:
- Consider travelling to the school by train or bus, or any other less polluting means of transport, if possible
- Bring your own reusable water bottle or cup